Wednesday, May 03, 2006

all of germany. . . . or at least it seemed like it

A bit of Switzerland and Austria as well.


Random trip people.
Highlights:

I succesfully scammed Air France into letting me pass as a student under 24, which saved me a lot of money on my flight and was only slightly illegal.

We found 200 euros.

We rented an economy car and got a free upgrade to an Audi with a navigation system. We named her Claudia. (which seemed German.) Claudia had a pretty voice and was very polite when asking/ demanding that we make a U turn. "If possible, please take a right and immediately another right."
Yes, Claudia, Yes.

I drove on the Autobahn. I didn't kill anyone. yay.

Let me paint the above picture better, we actually drove all over the damn country- all the way from Munich through the black forest to Zurich and then back across the country to Salzberg. Lots of autobahning. We asked for passport stamps whenever possible to prove our trip. We were succesful some of the time.

I tried to get a group of German teenagers to teach us a German drinking song.
"Do you speak English? Will you teach us a song?"
"You are very beautiful. That is all."

The trip seemed full of the weirdest little quirks. We seemed to have very fortunate luck as well as the opportunity to experience very different sights. For example, Within 4 days we briefly hit up 3 countries, saw sun and snow, went to a concentration camp, the Sound of Music Tour, A castle, drove through the black forest and the alps and hit up one or two beer gardens.

It was as varied as the songs on the German radio. It was great though. It's a recommend. The trip to Dachau was an experience that deserves its own post. More on that to come.

Pictures posted here! Blogger isn't letting me add to the post directly- so I will have to add another post on it later with pictures. Use the link for the time being.

Thanks for the advice on the cities. It was really helpful in planning our trip and we tried to do as many things as time would allow.

Sorry it has taken me so long to do this post, I have had a lot of stuff going on over the last few days. I am going to hang out in the area this weekend. Tomorrow I am going to do the Paris Marathon! (walking. . . .) Joy and I thought it would be a fun way to see the city. I will let you know how that goes!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This site is one of the best I have ever seen, wish I had one like this.
»